Bhubaneswar is the capital city of Odisha and is a popular tourist destination. Find out the top 5 tourist attractions in Bhubaneswar that you must visit and also check out some good Bhubaneswar hotels.
Bhubaneswar was the ancient capital of the once mighty Kalinga Empire and has numerous small and big temples. Due to the presence of numerous temples, the city has been named as the City of Temples. It is a popular tourist destination and along with Puri and Konark forms the golden triangle of Odisha tourism. Here are the 5 tourist attractions in Bhubaneswar that you must visit.
1. The Lingaraj Temple – This 11th century shrine features in the top spot and is the most famous landmark of the city. The Lingaraj Temple is dedicated to Harihara a form of Lord Shiva and is the largest temple in the city. The huge temple complex has numerous smaller temples and has lawns too where you can sit and enjoy the serenity. You should also try out the famous Prasad that is a full meal in itself.
2. The Khandagiri & Udaygiri Caves – Situated on the outskirts of the city are the Jain caves at Khandagiri. These caves were carved by King Kharavela out of the hills and served as Jain monasteries. The huge Rani Gumpha (Queens’s cave) is a two storied structure and has numerous beautiful sculptures and friezes.
3. Dhauli – It is the site of an Ashokan Edict and the Sanchi Stupa is one of the major tourist attractions in Bhubaneswar. The monument overlooks the presumed site of the gruesome Kalinga war and the Daya River also flows nearby.
4. Odisha State Museum is situated in the heart of the city and is quite popular among children and adults alike. The Museum houses a huge collection of artifacts, rare coins, palm leaves manuscripts, etc. that provides an insight upon the culture of the state.
5. Nandan Kanan Zoo is situated near the Chandaka Sanctuary on the outskirts of the city and is very popular among tourists and locals alike. It has many rare species and is one of the homes of the white tigers.
Quality Hotels in Bhubaneswar
Hotel Pushpak is one of the popular budget hotels in Bhubaneswar and is located at a distance of 1km from the railway station. It enjoys almost 80% customer recommendation which means 8 out of 10 people would visit again. It offers well furnished rooms that are equipped with all major amenities and costs Rs.1000.
Empires Bhubaneswar is one of the finest 3 star hotels in Bhubaneswar and is situated in a commercial center in the city. It offers many luxury facilities and is quite popular among travelers and guests. It offers beautifully furnished and fully air conditioned rooms that are equipped with all the needed facilities. It also offers a restaurant, a bar and a roof top swimming pool. The rooms cost Rs.6000.